History

Setting

Standing atop a 70ft cliff above the River Kirtle and looking out over the border towards England and the Lake District is Bonshaw Tower, a 4 storey tower house. Today’s tower was built in the 1570’s during the times of the notorious Border Reivers; Bonshaw’s purpose was to provide a powerbase for the Irving Family. Surviving many raids and sieges relatively unscathed, Bonshaw is one of Scotland’s finest remaining examples of a Border Tower.

History

Although today’s tower was built in the 1570’s, it is thought the Irvings have lived on the site of Bonshaw since at least the 1300’s and possibly even earlier. It has a vivid and colourful history. Robert the Bruce visited Bonshaw when fleeing the English and around this time William de Irwyn became his armour bearer for which he was granted Drum Castle. King James VI also visited Bonshaw in 1601 on a tour to quell the unruly Borderers.

Today

Today Bonshaw Tower is the seat of the Irving Family. It is one of the few Scottish castles still remaining in the hands of its original clan. Very much a private family home, Bonshaw Tower is surrounded by its own beautiful gardens and ancient woodlands with the River Kirtle running below.

16th Century Events Venue in Southern Scotland