X

1600 - 1861

Sir Alexander of Black Barony

Sir Alexander Murray of Black Barony obtained a Crown charter of the lands of Cringletie in 1666, and had a house built for his second eldest son. This was the first Cringletie House.

1861 - 1904

The Wolfe Murrays

Three centuries later, the house was in a sorry state of disrepair, and its owner, James Wolfe Murray, decided to replace it with the present house.

A new house was designed by the then famous Scottish architect, David Bryce. Bryce has many stately homes and mansions to his name. It was completed in 1861 and the Wolfe Murray family took possession of it. Cringletie has many features typical of Bryce's work, such as the distinctive, small towers at the corners of the top floor.

1904 - 1971

The Sutherlands

In 1904 a new family name appears - The Sutherlands. Elizabeth, one of Wolfe Murray's daughters, married Sir George Henry Sutherland. To commemorate the marriage, an artist was commissioned to paint the ceiling in the drawing room. It is based on an Italian painting and personalised to include the monograms of the couple: G E S.

In 1921, James Wolfe Murray's grandson (Captain George Wolfe Murray) leased Cringletie to his brother-in-law, Sir George Sutherland. Sir George modernized the house - enlarging rooms, adding bedrooms and bathrooms, and transforming it from a Victorian family house to a much grander country house.

1971 - 2003

The Maguires

In 1971 Historic Scotland recognized the architectural importance of Cringletie House when they granted it grade B listed status. In later years the walled garden and the dovecote were also listed.

Cringletie House first became a hotel after Stanley and Aileen Maguire bought it in 1971. Over the next 27 years, the Maguires developed Cringletie into a popular and highly acclaimed country house hotel.

2003 - Present

The Van Houdts

After the retirment of the Maguire's in 1997, the house and grounds were neglected by the new owners, and fell into a state of disrepair. The hotel's reputation declined until the present owners, Jacob and Johanna van Houdt, bought it in 2003.

Jacob and Johanna embarked on extensive renovations of the inside of the house, advised by Simpson and Brown architects in Edinburgh. They also started an ambitious programme to improve the grounds, including replanting woodlands, building woodland walks, and restoring the splendour of the historic walled garden.

The result of their work is the luxurious hotel you see today, combining the charm of the house's Victorian heritage with the comfort and convenience of the 21st century.

To honour the history of the house and its inhabitants, the current tartan in the hall and staircase is a mixture of the Murray and the Sutherland tartans. It was created for the house by McKay in Durham. The check is taken from the Murray tartan, the red line made a little softer and the blues and greens are derived from the Sutherland tartan.

2003 - Present

The Van Houdts

After the retirment of the Maguire's in 1997, the house and grounds were neglected by the new owners, and fell into a state of disrepair. The hotel's reputation declined until the present owners, Jacob and Johanna van Houdt, bought it in 2003.

Jacob and Johanna embarked on extensive renovations of the inside of the house, advised by Simpson and Brown architects in Edinburgh. They also started an ambitious programme to improve the grounds, including replanting woodlands, building woodland walks, and restoring the splendour of the historic walled garden.

The result of their work is the luxurious hotel you see today, combining the charm of the house's Victorian heritage with the comfort and convenience of the 21st century.

To honour the history of the house and its inhabitants, the current tartan in the hall and staircase is a mixture of the Murray and the Sutherland tartans. It was created for the house by McKay in Durham. The check is taken from the Murray tartan, the red line made a little softer and the blues and greens are derived from the Sutherland tartan.