Built by John Bagot Pearson after a sibling row
Augill Castle, in the Upper Eden Valley, stands in open country, little changed for centuries The castle's backdrop is the dramatic North Pennines with gardens opening out to views of the nearby Yorkshire Dales and the Lakeland Fells beyond. Since its building in 1841 as a Victorian gentleman's country residence, Augill Castle has seen its fair share of colourful incumbents, not least the man whose vision the castle first was.
It was constructed on behalf of John Bagot Pearson, the eldest of two brothers; he was determined to build a bigger and better house overlooking the family pile at Park House after a sibling row.
By the early twentieth century, the castle had become an established local landmark and was very well equipped for houses of the day. In Country Life of September 1919, the castle was advertised for sale thus:
"In the healthy and beautiful Eden Valley, Augill Castle, a handsome stone built Mansion in excellent repair, most comfortable to live in and inexpensive to maintain. The Castle contains spacious oak panelled living hall, dining and drawing rooms... servants' hall, kitchens, larders, pantries, dairy and the various other convenient rooms and offices belonging to a well-equipped Country House. Price for the whole, including landlord's fixtures, £7,750."