In April 2008, North Tipperary County Council gave the go-ahead to plans for conserving and refurbishing Killahara Castle. Work commenced immediately and was completed 7 months later in November 2008. The process required careful planning, expert oversight, and a high standard of workmanship.
The castle, until April 2008, stood as a shell. It had no roof, no floors, and no windows. The lower level window openings were wider than originally, courtesy of the 1853 restoration attempt. The surrounds of some of the widened windows were crumbling, as they had been hastily patched up with brick work rather than stone corbels and lintels. At the top, the castellation and various original features were missing and there was a concrete barge all around the top of the walls, as a result of the 1904 restoration. However the castle stands on rock and the overall structure was good.